Job Offer: Data Modeler in the CRC “Metaphors of Religion” (100%, ~4 years)
The CRC 1475 "Metaphors of Religion" combines research in religious studies, philology and linguistics on the significance of metaphors for the formation of religious meaning. The research is conducted historically-diachronically as well as culturally comparatively.
At CRC 1475, the information infrastructure project (INF) "Metaphor Base Camp: Providing the common data basis and advancing digital research methods for religious metaphors" a position as Research Associate is available. The INF project builds the digital research infrastructure of the CRC and participates in its conceptual and methodological development. The INF project is responsible for three methodological "layers": (1) the common repository, thesaurus, and annotation services; (2) tools for corpus analysis and interactive visualization; (3) the integration of computational methods developed by other subprojects. This infrastructure promotes a common methodological basis for all projects and enables comparative research across languages and religious traditions.
- Modeling of a conceptual thesaurus of semantic domains in SKOS.
- Integration of the results from the subprojects into the conceptual thesaurus
- Modeling of an ontology for metaphor annotation
- Design of a basic format (XML) for the different text corpora of the SFB
- Training and consulting of all SFB members
- Coordination and supervision of scientific assistants
- Completed Master's degree (or equivalent) in Religious Studies or a related subject, or in Digital Humanities or a related subject (PhD desired).
- Demonstrated knowledge of ontology modeling using RDF/OWL, thesauri (e.g., SKOS), and Linked Open Data technologies in general
- Experience in interdisciplinary research contexts
Experience and knowledge in one or more of the following areas is also desired:
- Knowledge of corpus formats, e.g., XML-TEI.
- Knowledge of a programming language (e.g., Python, XSLT/XQuery)
- Knowledge of approaches in systematic religious studies
- Experience in the field of digital processing of historical text sources
There is no teaching obligation.
Are you interested? Then we look forward to receiving your meaningful application including the following documents: cover letter including motivation for the position, curriculum vitae including publications and presentations if applicable, transcript of academic achievements, copy of master's thesis/dissertation and copies of up to three other relevant writings (PDFs) if applicable, name and e-mail addresses of two references. Please send your application via email (as a single pdf file) to Frederik Elwert (email@example.com) by December 17, 2021. At Ruhr University Bochum, we particularly want to promote the careers of women in areas where they are underrepresented and are therefore very pleased to receive female applicants. We also welcome applications from suitable severely disabled applicants and applicants with equal status. If you have any questions in advance, please feel free to contact Frederik Elwert directly. The interviews will take place via video conference.
(This text is for information only, the published version in Stellenwerk is binding).